18
Aug
08

Trial and Error

My first bra is finished! But completely unwearable, at least for me. I’m not discouraged in the slightest though. I fully expected a couple of trial runs before I had the result I wanted.

Because I’ve never sewn bras before, I figured it would be best to work from a pattern. I chose Kwik Sew 2374 because it features a full band (which is more supportive than partial band designs) and large cup sizes. It also has larger band sizes than I wear (starting from a 42) but I thought it would be simple enough to adjust the relatively flat band down to a smaller size; certainly easier than it would be to adjust the cup size up from a too-small pattern.

Since it was my first attempt, I pretty much followed the pattern to a T. I used the cutting lines for the 42DD size (since, going by the math alone, my 38G should be the same cup volume) and I did remove 2 inches from the band on each side, to bring that 42 down to a 38. Made sense in my head. I also checked the underwire I’d purchased -again, the right size for a 38G – to see how it fit me and it was perfect.

Now I’m curious to hear if anyone else has used this pattern, and what their experience was. Because I found that it runs HUGE. The underwire stops inches before the cups do, and the cups themselves press up into my underarms, and nearly to my neck. Just far, far too high. On the pictures below, my thumb and my finger are pointing to exactly where the underwire stops. All that bra above is excess.

Despite the fact that I won’t be wearing this particular bra, I was able to see exactly where I need to make alterations and I’m confident that my second attempt will be a far better fit! I’ve already started work on bra number two and just waiting for my order of supplies to come in the mail (I ran out of elastic! No way to finish without that!).

Full list of alterations needed: Remove 1.5″ from the top of the upper cups so they stop where they should. Remove a small bit of fabric right at the apex so there’s no funny pucker at the cup center seam. Use a wider strip of hook and eye tape (I’d mistakenly bought a 2 hook bra closure) so the band can stay a bit wider at the back. Remove excess fabric from band under cups, because as it is it just folds under itself awkwardly. Slight modification to the bridge so the cups sit about a 1/2″ inch closer to each other, which is just a better fit for my body. Took about another inch out of the band as it was still too loose and I’ll need to remember to cut the elastic proportionately shorter as well.

My second attempt should fit extremely well. 🙂

Advertisements

2 Responses to “Trial and Error”


  1. August 18, 2008 at 8:44 pm

    i have not made this particular pattern, but just wanted to offer encouragement. the first one looks pretty good!

    teri

  2. 2 goffcouture
    August 18, 2008 at 8:47 pm

    Thanks Teri! I was pleased with my sewing on it despite the need for alterations.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


August 2008
M T W T F S S
« Jul   Sep »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

Blog Stats

  • 31,580 hits

%d bloggers like this: