My hook and eye tape arrived in the mail yesterday – hooray! Huge thanks to ebay seller bridcishop for a very quick turnaround on my order. 🙂
So, it only took about an hour yesterday to sew the hook and eye tape into the dress foundation, and to sew the foundation into the dress. The only steps remaining are to hem the skirt, and to hand sew hooks and eyes to the neck strap and above the zipper. Bonnie will be over in the very near future to try the dress on so I can mark the hem and neck strap accordingly.
After some debate, I ended up deciding to make the dress foundation per the pattern instructions because there was a whole chain reaction if I started changing things. I had my doubts about plastic boning and fabric lining providing adequate support. But if I switched to steel boning, then I really did need to upgrade to heavier fabric, and then we were looking at something that would be quite a bit heavier, which seemed less than ideal for a dress that is going to be worn for outdoor performances in the summertime in Florida. So I followed the directions, and I must say I’m pleasantly surprised! It looks (on the dress form anyway) like this will actually provide enough support. Our fitting will tell if this is true.
In the meantime, I thought I’d post a few more quick pics. I’m very pleased with the drape, and with the shape of the bodice now that the neckline is finished!